The Boeing 737 Max is Now The Deadliest Mainstream Jetliner
Click Like to Follow Fliegerfaust Facebook page to get the News ASAP / Share to share this post now.
March 12, 2019 - by Rick Newman for Yahoo Finance
It will take months to pinpoint why an Ethiopian Airlines 737 Max 8 fell out of the sky in Addis Ababa on March 10, killing all 157 people on board. But the crash is already an urgent problem for Boeing, the jet's manufacturer, and for nearly 50 airlines flying the plane.
The 737 Max is a new jet that has only been in fleets since 2017, and there have now been two fatal crashes, both of them shortly after takeoff. On Oct. 28, 2018, a LionAir 737 Max crashed off the coast of Indonesia, killing all 189 people on board. Investigators have not yet publicly identified the cause of that crash, though they reportedly suspect an automated system that could have put the plane in danger.
Two fatal crashes so early in the life of a commercial aircraft is highly unusual, and the fatal-accident rate of the 737 Max is now second-highest of the modern era, after the ill-fated Concorde. The 737 Max has only flown about 500,000 flights, estimates aviation-safety expert Todd Curtis of AirSafe.com.
With two crashes causing fatalities, the fatal-accident rate of the 737 Max would be 4 flights per million. That's far higher than for most modern airliners.
- U.S. pilots flying 737 MAX weren't told about new automatic systems ... ›
- Lion Air Co-Founder Kirana on Scrapping Boeing's B737MAX Order ... ›
- Airline Automation Triggers Intensified Debate Over Safety ... ›
- Video: Lion Air B-737 Max MCAS UPDATE 28 Nov 2018 - FliegerFaust ›
- Boeing on track for 737 MAX deliveries by third quarter - FliegerFaust ›
- Boeing Tells Spirit Pauses 737 MAX Fuselage Production - FliegerFaust ›
- Boeing 737 MAX Software Done, But Regulators Plot More Changes After Jet's Return - FliegerFaust ›
- Boeing 737 MAX Update - "The Road to Re-Certification" - Explanation - FliegerFaust ›
- FAA to Publish Inspection Directive for Boeing 737 MAXs - Could Lead To Dual-Engine Power Loss... - FliegerFaust ›
- Boeing Has Lost More Than 800 Orders For The 737 MAX This Year... - FliegerFaust ›
- In Boeing 737 MAX Breakthrough, Europe Heads To Canada For Key Test - FliegerFaust ›
- Boeing To install 787s Synthetic Air System On The 737 MAX! - Boeing Caves To The EASA - Will Install System - FliegerFaust ›
- Experienced Crew Struggled With Instrument Flight After Boeing 737 Lost Autopilots - FliegerFaust ›
- Passengers Boarding Boeing 737 MAX in U.S. Today!!! - See How Updates Are Done - FliegerFaust ›