Some News About Mobile, Alabama - Airbus A220
Click Like to Follow Fliegerfaust Facebook page to get the News ASAP / Share to share this post now.
13:46 (17:46 UTC) - May 19, 2020 - by Sylvain Faust for Fliegerfaust.com
version en Français: https://www.fliegerfaust.com/a220-2646035360.html
Activities in the new A220 assembly building were launched all over again yesterday when the first two stations went busy attaching fuselage sections and connecting the wings, the horizontal and vertical stabilizers to the main body of the very first aircrafts to be built at the Alabama facillity.
Prior to yesterday, as I have explained a while ago, Airbus had first started the A220 production in Mobile by using a portion of the existing A320 assembly building. (read about this here: "First A220 Fuselage En Route to Mobile, Alabama!" https://www.fliegerfaust.com/aerospace-business-news-2638905945.html).
The first A220 aircraft earmarked for assembly in the US had been manufacturer serial number (MSN) 55069 (A220-300) to be delivered to Delta Airlines. But a major snag quickly compromised the operation when the use of a corrosive substance accidentally damaged the fuselage of the first ever A220 to be manufactured in Mobile.
The particular aircraft was pulled from the assembly line and MSN 55070, --yet another A220-300 following behind--, took the lead. It was now expected to become the first A220 aircraft to be delivered to Delta. As for MSN 55069, it was back to square one, as Airbus decided the whole fuselage/wiring/etc. had to be totally analyzed and reworked.
Read more about that incident: "Delta Airbus A220 Corrosion Before Delivery" https://www.fliegerfaust.com/airbus-news-new-a220-corrosion-2640536425.html
Now, where is that first MADE IN THE USA CSeries… I mean, the Airbus/Quebec Government A220 !? The first pre-delivery flight of the MADE IN THE USA A220 should be happening on Tuesday May 26 at Mobile, Alabama airport.
Again, the first A220 to be delivered from the USA is MSN 55070 (it is the one you see on the picture above).
Back to that new final assembly line building (FAL) dedicated to the A220 assembled in Mobile. The first aircraft in the line inside the building is the infamous MSN 55069 that will be getting its landing gears, wings and stabilizers installed.
Behind it is MSN 55099, the first A220 "totally" assembled in this new FAL building. MSN 55099 is to be delivered to jetBlue, a A220-300. You can see below MSN55099 on a picture provided by Airbus.
A220-300 behing assembled inside the new A220 final assembly line building at Airbus Mobile, AlabamaPicture source: Airbus
Sylvain Faust for Fliegerfaust
PS: You would like to be first to know next time?
it's easy and painless - Do each of the following:
- 1- Subscribe to the Free Newsletter. Do it now, it is really FREE!
- 2- Like Fliegerfaust Facebook page!
- 3- Follow Fliegerfaust on Instagram!
- 4- Follow TheFliegerfaust twitter account!
- 5- Click and Visit some of our advertisers, this help keep Fliegerfaust free. They have some interesting stuff for you.
Thank you for your help and keep reading and sharing Fliegerfaust with others!
Original Fliegerfaust.com content is Copyright Fliegerfaust.com 2020
- Exclusive: Airbus Working On More Than One New A220 Models ... ›
- Why the new Airbus A220 is popular with airlines during the ... ›
- Mirabel A220 Production Ramp Up Paused And Will Not Resume Until The Middle of 2021 If Conditions Allow - FliegerFaust ›
- Video: Fire Causes Significant Damage to Bombardier's A220 Manufacturing Facility in Belfast UK - FliegerFaust ›
- Exclusive: Inside The Bombardier Belfast Factory After The Fire - FliegerFaust ›
- Bombardier Concludes Sale of the CRJ Program to Mitsubishi - Terminates CRJ Production This Year - FliegerFaust ›
- MADE IN USA CSeries/A220 First Flight Today - FliegerFaust ›