The Rise of Air Italy - "I like the Airbus A220", Rossen Dimitrov, Chief Operating Officer
Click Like to Follow Fliegerfaust Facebook page to get the News ASAP / Share to share this post now.
May 10, 2019 - by Alex Macheras
Ready to shake up air travel in Italy, 'Air Italy' became Europe's newest airline in February 2018, when Meridiana and it's charter subsidiary (which was named Air Italy) merged to form the new Air Italy that's flying today.
The rebrand took place following the joint investment from just two investors. Italy's Alisarda owns a majority 51% stake in Air Italy, with the remaining 49% stake owned by one of the Middle East's largest airlines, Qatar Airways. Qatar Airways investment portfolio is extensive, and the airline holds key stakes in airlines including British Airways, Iberia, Aer Lingus, LATAM, Cathay Pacific, and China Southern.
Dimitrov goes on to say: "As you know, the plan was for us to have transitioned now to become an all Boeing operator, with 737 MAX and 787 Dreamliners. But with the groundings and delivery delays, could we see short-haul Airbus? Never say never".
For now, Boeing's worldwide fleet of 737 Max jets remains grounded. Dimitrov adds "I like the Airbus A220 (former Bombardier CSeries), I spoke to colleagues from Swiss Air and they're very happy with that jet. We would have to make sure it's something that works for us before committing, but crew commonality is the bottom line, and we fly Airbus long-haul jets too".