Airbus A320neo Engines And The Faults With Them
Click Like to Follow Fliegerfaust Facebook page to get the News ASAP / Share to share this post now.
September 3, 2019 - by Rhik Kundu
- The P&W 1100G-JM engine that powers A320neo planes is a "fan driven-geared turbine engine" manufactured by US-based P&W
- Airlines operating this aircraft have faced several problems with the engine
Passengers of IndiGo and GoAir—the two airlines operating Airbus A320neo planes powered by Pratt and Whitney (P&W) engines—have faced delays, cancellations, and, importantly, a threat to their safety as glitches related to this engine surfaced. Mint takes a look at the issue.
What's the P&W engine powering A320neos?
The P&W 1100G-JM engine that powers A320neo planes is a "fan driven-geared turbine engine" manufactured by US-based P&W. The engine has been "type certified" by the Federal Aviation Administration of the US and, subsequently, by the European Union Aviation Safety Agency.
It is more fuel efficient, generates more thrust, and produces less noise and is environment friendly. At present, there are 127 P&W engine-powered A320neo aircraft in India and 436 operating globally. In India, IndiGo operates 92 P&W powered A320neo planes, while GoAir has 35 such aircraft in its fleet.
What are the technical problems?
Airlines operating this aircraft have faced several problems with the engine.
The major ones involve combustion chamber distress, low pressure turbine (LPT) and gear box failures, engine vibration, among others. While some issues, such as...
- On This Day - 5 Years Ago a A220 Engine Exploded (CSeries ... ›
- Korean Air Asked for Two Spare Engine - CSeries - FliegerFaust ›
- One More - One SWISS A220 Did a Single Engine Landing in Paris ... ›
- Irkut Corporation orders 40 Pratt & Whitney GTF PW1400G engines ... ›
- The race between the CFM LEAP and Pratt & Whitney GTF remains ... ›