Boeing 777X’s Fuselage Split Dramatically During September Stress Test
The extent of the damage was greater than previously disclosed
Click Like to Follow Fliegerfaust Facebook page to get the News ASAP / Share to share this post now.
November 27, 2019 - by Dominic Gates for theseattletimes.com
Boeing got an unexpected jolt in September when engineers in Everett put the new 777X airframe through an extreme test of its structural strength. Just as the test approached its target stress level, an explosive depressurization tore through the fuselage.
Boeing has kept the details secret, but photos obtained by the Seattle Times show that the extent of the damage was greater than previously disclosed and earlier reports were wrong about crucial details.
The test plane is a complete write-off, its fuselage skin ripped wide open just behind the wing.
A passenger door that blew out and fell to the factory floor was a secondary impact of the initial rupture, which was located far below the door.
- Boeing CEO Muilenburg Exemplifies Boeing's Flawed Culture ... ›
- Video: Boeing 737NG Pickle Fork Crack UPDATE 14 Oct. 2019 ... ›
- UPDATE Boeing B777x Cargo Door Explosion Details - FliegerFaust ›
- Door Blows Out During Ground Test on Boeing 777X Jet - FliegerFaust ›
- Could The Boeing 777X Program Be Terminated? - FliegerFaust ›