Battery-Based Aircraft: Near Impossibility, Hybrids are Difficult - Electric Aircraft, The First Fall on the Hype Curve
Click Like to Follow Fliegerfaust Facebook page to get the News ASAP / Share to share this post now.
May 31, 2019 - by Bjorn Fehrm for leehamnews.com
- The sizing of the battery is one of the problems. If the battery shall give 2MW during one hour it will weigh 20 tonnes, which is not possible.
- I wrote batteries are 40 times heavier per energy unit (kWh/kg) than Jet fuel.
Last week the new Airbus CTO, Grazia Vittadini, said we should not expect electric aircraft anytime soon when presenting at Airbus Innovation days. What is realistic is hybrid developments, not battery-based designs.
After having made the basic checks about Electric aircraft in my Corner series 18 months ago, this was music to my ears. Finally, someone was curbing expectations.
Vittadini's team had made the sums. Battery driven aircraft is a near impossibility...
- Video: Boeing 737 Unable to Trim!! Cockpit video (Full flight sim ... ›
- Airbus and SAS Study Hybrid/Electric Flying - FliegerFaust ›
- Electric aircraft builder announces new engine option - FliegerFaust ›
- Video: Bombardier's electric trains go battery - FliegerFaust ›
- Canada's Harbour Air to fit electric engines on its plane - FliegerFaust ›