Aviation GPS Technology Seen To Be At Risk...
Click Like to Follow Fliegerfaust Facebook page to get the News ASAP / Share to share this post now.
April 27, 2020 - by www.aero-news.net
Thanks to a tip from EAA, we've learned that Lightsquared is back... under a new name. That's right -- An old nemesis to aviation GPS signal integrity made a new appearance this month as a satellite company named Ligado advanced its 5G wireless plan with an approval from the Federal Communications Commission.
The company, formerly known as LightSquared, is pushing for permission to begin terrestrial 5G cellular and data service on frequencies it owns that were intended for satellite use.
The proposal has caused divisions among government agencies as well as major corporations. It is similar to the plan the company brought forward in 2012, which faced major opposition before being rejected by the FCC.
Recently, the FCC reversed its position and approved the Ligado proposal.
Commercial and general aviation interests are both opposed to the new plan, as it could cause interference with GPS signals increasingly relied upon for air traffic separation and aircraft navigation, including precision...
- Norway says Russia Jammed GPS Signal During NATO Drill ... ›
- Video: Did You Know? - Swarms of Cell Phones in SPACE ... ›
- Family Members Of Four Killed In Kobe Bryant Crash Sue Helicopter ... ›
- The Russians are Screwing with the GPS System to Send Bogus ... ›
- Bell Autonomous Pod Transport Completes Beyond Visual Line of Sight Flight... - FliegerFaust ›
- The ‘Flying-V,’ a Fuel-Efficient Alternative to Jumbo Jets, Just Flew for the First Time... - FliegerFaust ›
- Boeing To install 787s Synthetic Air System On The 737 MAX! - Boeing Caves To The EASA - Will Install System - FliegerFaust ›