Will Mitsubishi ever be able to recoup a huge investment it made in regional jet program? Answer depends on whether it can acquire, and successfully integrate, Bombardier unit.
Mitsubishi hopes global ambitions will fly with revamped jet
Click Like to Follow Fliegerfaust Facebook page to get the News ASAP / Share to share this post now.
June 22, 2019 - by MITSURU OBE and NAOKI WATANABE for nikkei.com
PARIS/TOKYO -- At the Paris Air Show in June 2007, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries unveiled a sleek, gleaming silver mock-up of an aircraft it hoped would conquer the world's regional jet market. Twelve years and billions of dollars in overruns later, the Japanese conglomerate was back in Le Bourget this week, rebooting a program that was billed as the fulfillment of a national and corporate dream but instead became an investor nightmare.
The pavilion of subsidiary Mitsubishi Aircraft attracted crowds of journalists and aviation enthusiasts, eager to check out the interior of the redesigned and renamed Mitsubishi Regional Jet -- now the SpaceJet -- and hear how executives plan to rise above the design flaws and other setbacks that delayed deliveries five times.
The buzz was also fueled by the news earlier this month that Mitsubishi Heavy is negotiating to buy the regional jet program of one of its archrivals, Canada's Bombardier...
- Competitors are saddled with old platforms and haven't invested ... ›
- Mitsubishi to turn MRJ into Cheaper, Smaller New 'Space Jet ... ›
- Mitsubishi Heavy to Halt SpaceJet Mass Production And Halve Staff - FliegerFaust ›
- Mitsubishi Write-Down The Value Of CRJ Program Acquired from Canada's Bombardier - FliegerFaust ›
- Mitsubishi To Halt Regional Jet Programme - Will Boeing Acquire The SpaceJet / MRJ? - FliegerFaust ›
- Paris Air Show 2021 CANCELLED - Le Bourget - FliegerFaust ›
- Mitsubishi Aircraft, Acquirer Of The Bombardier CRJ, To Slash 95% Of Workforce - FliegerFaust ›