Japan Favors Home-Grown Design For Next-Generation Fighter After Rejecting Foreign Plans: sources
That would put Japan's leading defense contractor, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries
Click Like to Follow Fliegerfaust Facebook page to get the News ASAP / Share to share this post now.
March 27, 2020 - by Tim Kelly for reuters.com
TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan wants to develop a stealth fighter domestically, rejecting designs from Lockheed Martin Corp and Boeing Co in the United States and Britain's BAE Systems PLC, three sources with knowledge of the program told Reuters.
That would put Japan's leading defense contractor, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, in the lead for a military contract worth more than $40 billion. The company has not submitted a design for the next-generation fighter, but developed Japan's stealth fighter technology demonstrator, the X-2, in 2016.
[速報] X-2(先進技術実証機 ATD-X)初飛行！ 県営名古屋空港 2016年4月22日 www.youtube.com
A spokesman for Mitsubishi Heavy said the company would work with the government on whatever policy it decided to follow.
"We understand the Japanese government will lead the development program," a Mitsubishi Heavy spokesman said.
- Surrounded By Global Bad News, Mitsubishi Launches New ... ›
- Canada's pain Japan's gain, as Mitsubishi buys CRJ jet from ... ›
- Japan seeks role in French-German marine surveillance plane ... ›
- Video: UFO Buzzes Japan Airline Crew - CIA Told FAA To Shut Up ... ›
- So Long, Samurai: Japan Bids Farewell To Its Final Frontline Phantoms - FliegerFaust ›