U-2 Avionics Upgrade Paves Way For Command And Control Role
Click Like to Follow Fliegerfaust Facebook page to get the News ASAP / Share to share this post now.
After shrugging off the recurring threat of replacement by unmanned systems, the U-2S is poised for a comprehensive avionics upgrade that Lockheed Martin says will position the spy plane for follow-on capability enhancements and a new lease on life at the heart of the U.S. Air Force's ambitious Advanced Battle Management System (ABMS) command and control plan.
- Avionics Tech Refresh includes new mission computer and cockpit displays
- Update provides bridge to follow-on upgrades planned under Dragon STAR
- The ATR-configured U-2S may be used as a testbed for ABMS, Lockheed says
The Air Force's $50 million investment in Lockheed Martin Skunk Works' Avionics Tech Refresh (ATR) upgrade forms the latest part of a broader update plan funded through fiscal 2025 and underpins the service's renewed intent to grow the strategic and tactical roles of the venerable intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) platform.
Continue reading below...
The U-2S is critical to enabling the @usairforce's vision of a fully connected future battlespace.
Learn how we're modernizing the Dragon Lady to make it a reality.
— Lockheed Martin (@LockheedMartin) April 14, 2020
It also confirms Air Force plans to...
- Hundreds Of Layoffs Avoided Thanks To The Military Sector ... ›
- If America's Military Is So Strong, How Are Russia And China ... ›
- China's meter wave anti-stealth radar capable of guiding missiles to ... ›
- China May Have Operational Anti-Satellite (ASAT) Program, Reports ... ›
- DARPA Scraps Boeing XS-1 Military Space Plane Project After ... ›
- The Russian Military Hypersonic Weapon Now Operational - Flying ... ›