Transport Canada Issues 406 Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT) Mandate
Click Like to Follow Fliegerfaust Facebook page to get the News ASAP / Share to share this post now.
November 30, 2020 - by www.canadianaviator.com
Transport Canada has mandated that all aircraft except gliders, balloons, airships, ultralights and gyroplanes be equipped with (satellite monitored) 406 MHz ELTs that simultaneously broadcast on 121.5 Mhz. Aircraft operated for recreational purposes have until Nov. 25, 2025 to equip and all others have until that date in 2021.
Transport Minister Marc Garneau said the requirement "will enhance the efficiency of search and rescue operations and improve passenger safety by increasing the likelihood that a distress signal will be received in a timely manner. There has, of course, been much debate about that point.
TC first started signaling it wanted to require 406 ELTs about a decade ago after 121.5 stopped being monitored by search and rescue satellites.
The move was...
- Sadly, Another General Aviation Tragedy - Another Missing Aircraft ... ›
- Video - Plane Crash and Rescue from the Quebec Wilderness ›
- The Boy Who Survived a Plane Crash in Alaska... - FliegerFaust ›
- Obsolete ELT May Reduce Your Chances Of Survival - OLD 121.5 ... ›
- Video: Searching Alaska Backcountry for Missing Man...What I saw ... ›
- RCAF's First Airbus C-295 Search And Rescue Aircraft Arrives In ... ›