Airbus A220 Uncontained Engine Failures Linked To Resonance Phenomenon
Click Like to Follow Fliegerfaust Facebook page to get the News ASAP / Share to share this post now.
April 1, 2020 - by David Kaminski-Morrow for flightglobal.com
Airbus A220 operators are being instructed to remove certain full-authority digital engine control software, and install a new version, after a series of engine failures involving fracture of low-pressure compressor rotors.
Four such incidents have been registered, says the US FAA in a directive for the type's Pratt & Whitney PW1500G powerplant.
Three of the incidents, last year, involved Swiss aircraft while the fourth, last month, affected an Air Baltic jet.
Analysis has indicated that low-pressure compressor vane schedules were generating a condition within the engine that led to "acoustic resonance" and damaged the stage-one rotor, says the FAA, leading to its failure....
- Pratt & Whitney Committed To Advanced GTF For Airbus - FliegerFaust ›
- F-35: ONE Engine is Safer than TWO!?? - Says Pratt & Whitney ... ›
- The race between the CFM LEAP and Pratt & Whitney GTF remains ... ›
- Pratt & Whitney Canada's Mirabel, Quebec Aerospace Centre is a ... ›
- Pratt & Whitney Canada Boeing 747SP (B74S) landing in Montreal ... ›
- Pratt & Whitney Canada Laid Off Only 21% Of Workforce - With Full ... ›