Russia Is Going to Get 76 Su-57 Stealth Fighters, But There Is a...
Click Like to Follow Fliegerfaust Facebook page to get the News ASAP / Share to share this post now.
August 24, 2019 - by Charlie Gao for nationalinterest.org
In July 2019, Russia announced a major purchase of its fifth-generation stealth air superiority fighter, the Su-57.
As the order is only for seventy-six aircraft by 2028, some are skeptical of whether this is true "mass production" for the Su-57, given the constant delays and revisions in the program. Recent Western competitors to the Su-57 like the F-35 have been produced in the hundreds. But a look at contemporary Russian aircraft production and procurement, as well as the Soviet Su-27 program suggests that this order of 76 aircraft may be just the first step that could be ramped up significantly in the near future.
They won't be fully ready until 2028.
The Su-57 in many ways is the successor to the Su-27, a premier air superiority fighter meant to fight the best fighters an enemy might present.
As a result, it's packed to the brim with the best technology Russia's aerospace can offer: powerful engines, advanced maneuverability features, and top-of-the-line avionics including an AESA radar.
All of these technologies are costly to develop, so the fighter that incorporates them will need to be a highly refined design that can serve for decades, as the Su-27 did. The Su-27 program took nearly fifteen years to reach design maturity.
The long process was due to...
- ONE Engine is Safer than TWO!?? - Says Pratt & Whitney Publicity to ... ›
- Hackers just found serious vulnerabilities in F-15 fighter jet - U.S. ... ›
- F-35 Will Not Meet 80% Mission Capable Goal - FliegerFaust ›
- The F-35 Could Make Some Neighborhoods in the U.S. Unliveable ... ›
- How a High Tech Heist GAVE CHINA F-35 'DNA' for Its J-20 Stealth ... ›
- America Is Stuck With a $400 Billion F-35 Stealth Fighter That Can't ... ›