Just Now - January 8. 2019 - Heathrow Airport: Drone Sighting Halts Departures
Departures at Heathrow were temporarily stopped after a drone was reported to have been sighted.
January 8, 2019 - BBC
Flights from the west London airport resumed about an hour after police said a drone had been seen.
A Heathrow spokeswoman had said it was a "precautionary measure" to "prevent any threat to operational safety".
It comes after last month's disruption at Gatwick Airport which saw thousands of people stranded when drones were sighted.
We are responding to a drone sighting at Heathrow and are working closely with the Met Police to prevent any threat to operational safety. As a precautionary measure, we have stopped departures while we investigate. We apologise to passengers for any inconvenience this may cause.
— Heathrow Airport (@HeathrowAirport) January 8, 2019
The spokeswoman said: "We continue to work closely with the Met Police to respond to reports of drones at Heathrow.
"Based on standard operating procedures, working with Air Traffic Control and the Met Police, we have resumed departures out of Heathrow following a short suspension. We continue to monitor this situation and apologise to any passengers that were affected by this disruption."
My luck, drone sighting and Now my flight is at standstill just before departure ! #Heathrow pic.twitter.com/yt3EQ6Xv5v
— Nadim Baig (@nadimbaig) January 8, 2019
- Drone Flown Towards Light Aircraft 'In An Attempt To Collide ... ›
- Montreal Airport Drone Near Miss with Commercial Aircraft ... ›
- US Homeland Security to Test Counter-Drone Program in 2019 ... ›
- After Gatwick, Will 2019 Bring A Drone-Airliner Disaster? - In fact ... ›
- Heathrow: SWISS A319 Carrying 126 People Nearly Smashed Into ... ›
- Boeing 737 Passenger Jet Damaged in Possible Midair Drone Hit ... ›